28 February 2010

Master of Procrastination


Yep, that's me. But it's not always a bad thing, procrastination. After all, it's bringing my news and sharing it with all of you. So, let's make a deal - I'll tell you my stories if you promise not to tell that I should be doing something else instead of pouring out my past few weeks onto a horrid blog. Sounds good? Deal.

First note: the bus system still blows. Don't ask me how, but apparently I'm not forward enough in hailing down a bus. Get this - shivering at Michelet with Amy, patiently waiting the next bus home in the arctic winds constantly blowing. A big breath of relief as it turns the corner and barrels toward us. Eagerly, we take a large step forward, ready to board - and the bus passes. Driver looks at us with a regard that I can only place as amusement mixed with self-satisfaction.

...

What? Really? How rude. I guess it's not like it's their JOB to pick up PASSENGERS at BUS STOPS or anything. Ugh. I'm warming up to my bike though, mentally preparing myself for the long rides that are due to start very soon.

After a rough week of constant classes, I was looking forward to the weekend. Keep in mind kids, this is a while back. We're talking Valentine's day weekend. Saturday night rolls around, I'm looking forward to a celebration of a disgusting tradition who's only interest is to boost the flower, chocolate and plush industries. I guess I've just never been a huge fan of the 14th. Nevertheless, K'lypso was hosting a party and I was ready.

Pregame at Anna's with Jayne, Tyler, Spencer, others. One bottle of whiskey and some red wine later [not to mention cookies and chips], we were dancing out the doorway and heading to rue Bressigny. Upon entering, we were presented with a choice of three colors for bracelets; yellow = "why not," blue = "don't touch," green = "single." I figured I'd start with a green because no one cared about colors anyway. I see some friends seated at a table - Lauren and Kai from my Langue class. I somehow manage to meander over to the table and have a seat, only to be called over to the bar again. It's a little fuzzy from here on out, but I got some free drinks, candy necklaces and ended the night with all three colors of bracelets on my wrist, stumbling to my friend's apartment for a night of sleep well earned.

The following Monday, striding into my language class, tensions between me and some other students had been broken. Much more at ease, I sat through one of my two favorite classes this semester. See, The best part about my language class [besides the people, of course] is my teacher. Oh goodness, she is sassy! I adore her, however, and she has begun using simple pet names for me, including Bichette and Belle. Sassy, funny and completely up-to-date with the tricks of the trade, Florence knows exactly what to expect. Sure, it makes my job harder - but I do love a challenge.

Next professor worth mentioning is my Literature one. She is literally a high school teacher. Small, mousey, my friends and I have decided that if we yelled at her, she would run into a corner.

::short interjection::

That isn't to say I don't like the class - but concentration proves difficult when giggles arise every time she flinches at a word, or blinks nervously at our silence. I also want to take this time to mention another great professor - my History of France one. He makes it interesting because he's so wonderfully enthusiastic and passionate about the subject.


In other news, the seven hour time difference is becoming more of a pain. Adapting to a new culture requires my social attention as well as my scholarly. That being said, attempting to find a time to Skype another friend that is in school back home is nearly impossible. It's no less than depressing to realize one day that you rarely talk to or see the people you've come to love, your second family. It's strange to be forced to come to terms with the fact that you're fading from your old world, being ripped from everything.

And I promise, I'm not Emo. [that's my little sister...just kidding]

Weather sucks. Rainy, cold, windy. There were actually twenty-three deaths because of the wind last night. That either means that Frenchmen are weaklings, or it's like Kansas all over again. Either way, I'm not very motivated to ride my bike for half an hour tomorrow morning if it means I'll make no progress.

Host family and Hitomi are great, but Hitomi left on Saturday. Apparently she started crying after I left with Selika, another Japanese student that lives close to us. I miss her though, miss the company and the reassurance of another foreigner in the household.

Speaking of Saturday, my past two have been filled with excursions to St. Malo, Mont St. Michel, and three Chateaux from the Loire Valley region. It was wonderful, but if you really want to know about it, look at my pictures.

Classes are great.

I miss AIESEC.

I miss my friends. [especially Merry, even though he's closer than the rest, Lo, Steve, Ashleigh, Ryan, Amber, Nick, Savs, Devin, Safiye, Sarah, Chloe, etc. Loves.]

I miss my family. [Oy, Momy, Christine, Caity, Mimi.]

Valentine's day cards from besties and mothers rock.

Formal French sucks. Is knowing familiar French and slang really an advantage? I keep getting told that it is, but the longer I'm forced to use formal French with teachers and adults, the more I feel like the other students have no idea what they're talking about.

Oh and I got a job. Get ready to take on Corrie, McCollum. I'm going to be a freggin' cool RA. Hopefully, ha ha. It'll be fun to see how things pan out in the future.

On that note, I'm getting back to work, procrastination achieved. Ta ta kids.


"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation."
-George Washington


2 comments: