03 March 2010

55 Grams of Happiness

I awoke this morning to a strange package outside of my door. After a restless night filled with migraine-induced tossing and turning, I was anxious for a positive morning.

Moving to my desk, I opened the petite yellow box and immediately smiled. Arranged neatly inside were various souvenirs from Paris, courtesy of Merry and Guillaume [and Guillo's sister].

To start off, I read the letter from Guillaume, explaining that he and Merry had copied my mother, sending me a box of gifts that couldn't be found in Angers; a pack of Skittles [but not orange, as they don't exist in France], a picture of Guillaume's passport [an ongoing joke], a miniature model of the Eiffel Tower, a bisous on a candy wrapper, and an empty glass bottle labeled "DO NOT OPEN," as it was full of air from Merry's garden.

Needless to say, my morning was made. Besides the contents mentioned in the letter, there were also two postcards, one from each of the boys. They were immediately added to my "mur d'amis," a collection of cards, letters and pictures from my friends and family back home.

As great as the package was, it also sparked a brief moment of dejection, remembering my families back home. Thank God for Skype, eh?

I guess it really is the little things that make you appreciate everything and everyone in your life.

One thing is for sure, though - French Skittles - not as good as American ones. Skittles are supposed to be artificial, guys. Come on, now.


"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city."
-George Burns

[photo by Aubrey Wilson]

2 comments: